I suggest you ...

Enable mass creation of dives through a "matrix" form or though the upload of XLS or CSV files

I want to log of the dives from my log book, but that seems to be a daunting task with the current capabilities (rich, multi tabs form).

I would like to have either a rich multi-line form, allowing me to enter the main info of each dive in one line or to be able to use upload a spreadsheet

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Etienne Giraudy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys,

So is the excel import available? I'm new to diveboard and would also love to log my old dives that are currently on paper. If you tell me what is the excel structure (fields for each column, data tyep for each field), or better yet provide a template that would be super!

Alternatively, I see one bulk import file type that is xlsx (movescount) - is that a file we could create manually? If so, what is the structure?

Many thanks in advance, this seems to be an awesome initiative, looking forward to bringing more people onboard (did one already) :)

• AdminDiveboard team (Admin, Diveboard) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uploadign from xls is being developed by one of our users based on the diveboard API

But editing and creating are 2 very different things

Editing from an excel isn't feasible, otherwise we won't be able to drive you into identifying the proper dive spot or dive shop and we wouldn't be able to cross reference dives from different users ... and this is one of the things that diveboard wants to bring to the divers: the ability to check plenty of other diver's feedbacks!

Have you tried the bulk manager though ? it's supposed to help you tag data in many dives at once and was built just to fit what you're trying to do . We'd love feedback on what he's not being so great at :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really think you need to consider this seriously! Uploading from a computer/UDCF/HL7/SDE still leaves a lot of editing to do and the present interface is not really very user friendly for users with hundreds of dives.

• Fernando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be a great addition, especially for people that are new to Diveboard. I have several dives logged on paper that I would love to post in dive board; but uploading them one by one is going to be time consuming. It would be much easier to copy all my log information to an Excel spreadsheet and then do a mass load from there...

• selwyndvr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of being able to import from a spreadsheet. This would allow those with a long dive log history to get up and running on the system quicker. How would one create a zxl or udcf file from a spreadsheet? If this is relatively easy to do, post instructions on how to do and this would also help greatly.

• AdminDiveboard team (Admin, Diveboard) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HI Etienne,
        after giving it a thought, we'll probably build some time soon™ an excel sheet to generate a udcf file ready for import...

basically as long as you have a time in, duration of the dive, and max depth that's all we need to call it a dive. After that the more stuff you can add the better for you :)
        and yes udcf is flawed, but most software support it (as well as zxl)... and there is a "standard" description for its format...
        could you email me your xls ? I'd be interested to see how you keep stuff and how we can work something out starting from your format

As for APIs they're here but not public yet and they will be probably in january (not much missing... aside from documentation :) )

read APIs can be seen in the mobile app project here : https://github.com/Diveboard/diveboard-mobile (really simple JSON APIs)

Alex

• Etienne Giraudy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

:-(
        I don't have a CSV/XLS, i was mentioning this as excel is a god tool for mass entering data...
        ZXL does not look good for manual input.

UDCF is a verbose XML format... not great.
        I downloaded my dives already logged and i would like to know the constraints (or the DTD). For example, are the gases and samples node mandatory?

Also, do you have (or plan) a REST (or alike) API that could be used to mass upload dives?

Thx

Feedback and Knowledge Base